This gluten and dairy free carrot cake recipe is a winner! I have no idea where it came from — it’s been in my recipe book for the past twenty years and was in my mum’s before that. It’s easy to make, moist and delicious. This is definitely one to add to your gluten-free recipe collection.
The cream cheese icing can easily be made dairy free with the substitutes mentioned below. A block or stick style dairy-free ‘butter’ does give a better result than margarine if you can get your hands on some.
Ingredients — cake:
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup gluten free flour (either a store bought pre-mix, I like Orgran brand, or white rice flour)
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 cups of grated carrot
Ingredients — Cream Cheese Icing:
- 110g cream cheese (to make dairy free use Angel Food Dairy-Free Cream Cheese Alternative).
- 55g softened butter (to make dairy free use a dairy-free block-style ‘butter’ or margarine)
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Method — cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Place dry ingredients into a bowl and mix until combined.
- Stir in the oil, beaten eggs and grated carrots. Mix until combined.
- Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper. Pour in mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. The cake is ready when a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Method — icing:
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth (an electric beater works best here). Allow cake to cool completely before icing.
- Decorate with chopped walnuts.
You can also join my email list and receive my latest articles, updates & advice delivered straight to your inbox. (I send one email per month, tops).