This gluten-free playdough recipe is quick and simple to make. The kids won’t notice the difference and you won’t panic if they take the odd lick!
1 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup cornflour
1/2 cup salt
1 Tbsp cream of tartar
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup warm water
Food colouring, as desired
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium pot.
- Add the vegetable oil, then the water, and continue to mix until thoroughly combined.
- Heat the pot on the stove over low heat for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- When the dough starts to pull away from the sides easily, turn out the dough (onto baking paper if required to avoid staining). Let it cool briefly until you can work it with your hands.
- Knead food colouring into the dough until you get the colour you desire.
Makes approx. 2 cups of play dough. Store in tightly sealed plastic bags or containers.
- Don’t overcook the dough. It shouldn’t need more than five minutes.
- To add food colouring, make a well in the middle of the ball of dough using your thumbs and drop the food colouring into the well. Close up the well with the outside dough, keeping the food colouring in the middle of the ball. Then, carefully begin kneading it until the colour is evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- If needed, adjust the texture with small amounts of water (for dry, crumbly dough) or cornflour (for sticky dough).
- Kinetic sand is an alternative to playdough and is often gluten free.
- Gluten-free playdough is available to purchase at www.doughqueen.co.nz
You can also join my email list and receive my latest articles, updates & advice delivered straight to your inbox. (I send one email per month, tops).